Any wet surface could be infested by mold, a type of fungus. If you have a problem with moisture in the kitchen or bathroom or the basement of a house, it is more likely to spot mold. The mold size can vary from a few pennies up to completely covering walls. The mold growth will continue when exposed to food and water if not taken care of.

The development of mold in your home is a serious issue that can quickly lead to significant structural damage and numerous health issues, as many individuals are well aware. The best way to safeguard yourself from mold damage is to act swiftly and decisively when the home begins to show signs of a problem.

Mold Damage and Cleanup

As a homeowner, you might not know how serious the problem is with mold or what cleaning and restoration actions are required. The removal of mold can be divided into five categories depending on the degree of contamination. Knowing the various levels of damage caused by mold and what you should do in each situation can be made simpler by the following information.

1. Level 1

This coverage covers damage to a 10-square-foot or less area. It does not usually require professional assistance. The mold remains on the surface and is easy to clean. The damage caused by mold in the first stage is evident on ceilings, baseboards, tiles, and wall paneling.\

Know the precautions to take before attempting DIY mold removal. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, don’t do the cleaning yourself. If you have kids, take them off the area as you work. Also, anyone suffering from an immunodeficiency or chronic lung disease must leave the premises. 

Be sure to wear personal safety equipment such as gloves, glasses, and boots. The materials that are contaminated should be cleaned. Keep doors and windows open to allow airflow in. Make use of a detergent solution to wash the surface. After cleaning thoroughly, dry the surface.

To prevent mold build-up, you can check websites like puroclean.com for property restoration services with an expert team in water damage remediation.

2. Level 2

A mold problem of level 2 typically indicates a longer-term or underlying issue, like condensation, humidity drips, leaks, or drips that can range between 10 and thirty square feet. Cover the affected materials with plastic sheets to rid yourself of the spores. This will stop the spores of mold from contaminating your belongings. Then, you should vacuum the areas and apply detergent to wash the surfaces. At this point, the best measure is to contact a mold removal expert.

For other property problems like smoke and fire damage, you can click here and read the blog posts and articles about it.

3. Level 3

The large areas of growth (30-100 sq. feet.) suggest an issue that requires prompt attention. Wallboards that are infected, ceiling tiles, or other large surfaces should be cleaned up immediately. The first step is an inspection of mold. If your home has level 3 mold damage, you must seriously think about contacting an expert cleanup company.

If you decide to conduct yourself, follow the same steps for the level two mold spores and utilize plastic sheeting to seal off the areas of your home that are located near the affected area. Ensure to protect your HVAC equipment by covering the ventilation vents, grills, and air intakes using plastic sheets. Ensure that people are not in the affected area until the work is completed.

4. Level4

Mold removal companies might be required for an infestation larger than 100 sq. feet. If not, the specific specifications for levels I, II, and III must be adhered to. Safety training for workers and full-face respirators equipped with HEPA cartridges is mandatory. Protective clothing that is disposable and covers the head and footwear is also required. With duct tape, seal all holes within your home, such as ventilation ducts/grills, fixtures, and other holes. Install and use a “decontamination area” or an enclosure with a plastic wall. Air monitoring should be conducted before reentering the house to ensure security.

5. Level 5

The development of mold in the HVAC system must be removed by a qualified professional, regardless of how small or large it is. In addition to the security precautions for the previous levels, the HVAC system should be shut off. The insulation that has been contaminated must be removed and stored in plastic bags before being properly removed. 

To eliminate mold spores in the ductwork and prevent mold growth, Biocide solutions must be applied to HVAC components like cooling coils and condensation pans.