Hurricanes and heavy rains can indeed bring flooding. Another cause would be plumbing issues. Problematic pipes might imply blocked drain pipes and overflowing toilets. Whether in detached homes or multi-story buildings, flooding can take place.
Dirty water can increase the transmission of water-borne diseases. These illnesses are from polluted human and animal wastes and can go into the body in various ways.
Diseases From the Water
Contaminants carried by water can permeate through anything permeable, such as building materials like wood or concrete, or may infiltrate the soil. These can even more affect the water supply and vegetation.
Ingestion and Contact
Flood waters can bring bacteria and viruses from animal or human feces and can come into contact with drinking water or food supply. Direct contact with flood waters can also cause these to penetrate the skin through scratches or open injuries. The most common diseases are the following.
- Typhoid Fever – This can be serious if not treated. The signs are stomach discomfort, constipation, diarrhea, continuous fever, nausea, and headaches.
- Cholera – Watery diarrhea is the major symptom of cholera and might cause dehydration and might likewise be fatal.
- Hepatitis A – It is an extremely contagious liver illness that can trigger loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, dark-colored urine, and jaundice. In many cases, this can trigger liver function to stop.
- Leptospirosis – This is caused by bacteria from animals, most especially rodents. Infected urine can mix with water or soil and can go into the body through the skin, genitals, nose, or mouth. Signs are similar to hepatitis A. However, more serious infections can cause kidney failure, meningitis, and other extreme complications.
Mosquito-Borne Viral Infections
Mosquitoes need to find water to reproduce, and whatever water stays from floods is the perfect area for eggs to be laid. Mosquito bites can transfer viruses to people. Such are:
- Malaria – This manifests with flu-like symptoms and body aches. Severe cases can trigger seizures, coma, and death.
- Dengue Fever – High fever, eye pain, and rashes are the first symptoms of this viral infection. If not dealt with early, this may trigger internal hemorrhaging and can be deadly.
If water damage or any dampness stays after flooding, mold is unavoidable. These come from air-borne spores and will grow on any surface. Direct exposure to toxic mold can trigger mild to serious medical problems. Individuals who have allergic reactions and those who are immuno-compromised are easy candidates.
Some moderate symptoms may be the following:
- runny nose and congestion
- eye irritation
- skin rashes
Molds can produce mycotoxins– toxic substances that can enter the brain. If this happens, it will result in memory loss and metabolism problems and cause brain swelling.
What to Do in Case of Flooding
Standing water and water damage must be dealt with to prevent health issues. Check this restoration company’s home page for more information.
Wear Protective Clothes
After a case of flooding, do not go into the compromised location without protective clothing such as rubber boots, gloves, etc.
Keep Away From the Danger
If possible, do not try to clean up. If there is severe damage, some areas might be too weak to walk or stand on. Mosquitoes may be present, or mishaps might harm you, making you susceptible to illness.
Call in a Professional Remediation Company
The best possible method to solve the water damage problem is to contact specialists. They have the right equipment, and they move fast and completely. See here for property damage restoration services in Westland, MI.
Removing the Water Damage
Remediation specialists can turn a location inside out and replace any parts of a structure that are no longer of any use. They have devices that can eliminate any standing water and utilize fans and dryers to remove any remaining moisture.
The restoration companies use effective cleaning agents to eliminate all pollutants, killing bacteria and viruses. While subjected to fans and blowers, they likewise use HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters to clear the air. Mold spores are discouraged from adhering to surface areas and increasing when cleansing and moisture removal is successful. This Wayne restoration company can help eradicate mold issues.
Wrapping It Up
Occurrences like flooding must be taken seriously and handled instantly. To prevent additional damage and regrettable health and safety concerns, ask remediation specialists to assess the situation. They will be able to provide correct guidance on what needs to be done, whether cleaning is sufficient or if reconstruction is necessary.